Our team of lawyers have extensive experience in advising Power Developers on Power Projects – both conventional (thermal and hydro) and renewable (solar, wind, biomass), with project size ranging from micro (5MW) to Mega (+1000 MW) – transmission and distribution entities.
Our lawyers are engaged in (i) Advising project developers, investors, suppliers & contractors in the power sector on diverse commercial/transactional issues and all aspects of licensing, market structures, competition, performance standards & tariffs; (ii) Providing advice on restructuring of existing legal and regulatory frameworks; (iii) Advising on sustainable development issues like clean development mechanism & environmental compliances; (iv) Handling resolution of disputes in various forums, including regulatory commissions and courts and alternate dispute resolution processes.
We have extensive experience in matters relating to power transmission, distribution and electricity generation regulation, as well as in the drafting and negotiation of energy-related commercial contracts. Our services in the power sector include:
- In-depth understanding of legislation and regulation at the state and central levels, and their implications across a variety of sectors;
- Wide experience in the commercial side of the industry, particularly in negotiating with public sector power utilities; and
- The ability to negotiate successful amalgamations, mergers, alliances and partnerships on behalf of private companies with the public sector undertakings in the power sector.
Our work on independent power generation projects includes a comprehensive range of legal advice, including:
- Obtaining environmental permits at the local, state and central levels, land use approvals, approvals for electrical transmission and, in some cases, gas transmission lines, and other regulatory approvals, as required;
- Representing clients at environmental hearings and/or public meetings; and
- Negotiating and drafting all major contracts, including Concession Agreements, EPC Contracts, O&M Contracts and financing and security documentation, Power Purchase Agreements, Fuel Supply Agreements, Land Agreements, Construction Agreements and Production Contracts, Implementation Agreement.
We have gained an extensive knowledge with the power procurement process having acted as counsel to various private and public companies in connection with several procurement processes, and to potential developers and independent power producers in connection with power procurement RFPs and relationships. Our team is fully conversant with the structure of these contracts, their financial implications, allocations of risk, and other associated legal and business issues.
Power Regulation & Transmission
The Firm has an exceptional understanding of the legal and practical issues affecting power transmission and generation companies operating in India.
We have acted for both investor and publicly owned electric utilities in hearings and applications before the Electricity Board, and in all aspects of, the electricity industry, including distribution, transmission, generation and retail. Members of the firm also have experience in the Indian electricity retail and generation market, and have advised clients, including retailers, project developers, investors and marketers on a diverse range of matters, including development of solar generation projects, merchant transmission, imports and exports, and other environmental issues.
A wide range of clients – including developers, purchasers, suppliers and financing entities – depend on the Group’s experience in development, construction, power purchase and procurement processes, real estate and leasing, debt and equity financing, mergers and acquisitions, tax (including government incentives for certain forms of renewable energy projects), environmental approvals and related regulatory processes.