Mining sector plays a pivotal role in the industrial development of the country. In the mining sector, the firm provides strategic advice to private and public sector companies in India and to foreign companies on different ventures.
The Firm works seamlessly across sectors & the Mining team works in close cooperation and in tandem with our Corporate Regulatory, Finance, Litigation and Tax teams which enables us to provide well rounded and comprehensive advice to our clients.
Our lawyers have in depth knowledge of mining laws including The Mines Act, 1952; The Mines Rules, 1955; Mines Rescue Rules, 1985; Coal Mines Regulations, 1957; The Oil Mines Regulations, 1984; The Minor Mineral Concession Rules, 1960 and various other acts associated with mining.
Our Mining team advises on all aspects of Mining law including
- (i) Licensing issues that include mining permits, prospecting license and mining leases,
- (ii) Policy issues including those relating to prescribed & certain reserved minerals, State mining policies, enforceability of Memorandums of Understanding (MoU), and State Support Agreements
- (iii) Rehabilitation & Resettlement (R&R) policies,
- (iv) Health Safety & Environment issues/approvals,
- (v) Contracting,
- (vi) International Joint Ventures,
- (vii) Mergers & Acquisitions,
- (viii) Foreign Direct Investment,
- (ix) Taxation,
- (x) Dispute Resolution & Litigation; and Regulatory issues
The firm offers the mining industry a diverse staff of lawyers with strong industry experience throughout the natural resource and manufacturing sectors. Our lawyers provide industry-specific transactional, regulatory and litigation support for virtually every aspect of our clients’ daily operations or structural transactions. From coal to steel production, our experience includes extensive work for major coal producers and users.
Our Firm provides transactional legal services essential to the daily operations of mining companies, as well as those required for new business agreements and structures. For example, our lawyers are experienced in:
- Acquisitions/dispositions of mine properties and processing and manufacturing facilities;
- Coal supply contracts;
- Environmental law, health and mine safety;
- Native Indian law and natural resources;
- Operational and regulatory issues;
- Issues pertaining to acquisition of Public lands;
- Coal mining and supply contracts;
- Due diligence on behalf of investor’s interests regarding acquisitions of mining properties;
- Formation of Indian and international joint ventures;
- Distribution arrangements/joint development agreements;
- Supply agreements for newly developed technology;
- Technology transfer and related intellectual property matters;
- taxation and stamp duty issues; and arbitration and dispute resolution.